What Damages Can Be Claimed In A Personal Injury Case?

When a person is injured due to the negligence of another, it often warrants a personal injury lawsuit. However, what many people may not know is that there are more than just physical damages that can be claimed in a personal injury case. Even if a person is not physically injured, there may be other reasons that they feel they have been wrongfully treated by another party. These are some of the damages that a person can request to be compensated for in a persona injury case.

Physical Pain And Suffering 

Physical pain and suffering is the most common reason that a personal injury case may be filed. Examples of this may include being hurt in an automobile accident caused by another, a slip and fall accident caused by the negligence of a business or an illness that develops from the use of a certain product.

Loss Of Income or Ability To Work 

If an injury or illness that is caused by another party results in a loss of income or the ability to work, this is also considered a personal injury type of damage. For instance, if a person is hurt in an auto accident and is unable to work for several months, he may request to be compensated for the amount of money he would have earned had the accident not occurred.

If the person becomes permanently disabled, he may ask for these damages as well. He may request to be compensated for what his regular income amount was from the other party until he reaches the age where he can draw social security. If the damage was caused by a business, this is usually covered by a long term disability plan that the business carries.

Mental Anguish And Emotional Stress 

Mental anguish and emotional stress are also damages that are sometimes awarded in a personal injury case. This can be due to unfair treatment at a job, untrue public statements or an actual physical injury caused by another. For some people, the mental and emotional damage is just as severe and problematic as any physical damage. 

It is also not uncommon for family members to request compensation for damages that have occurred to a loved one. If a person's spouse becomes severely ill at the hands of another and is no longer able to have a normal relationship with friends and family, the family may also ask to be compensated for this. This is known as a loss of consortium.

For more information, contact Roberts Miceli & Boileau LLP or a similar firm.